Saturday 3 December 2016

10th book launch at Robertson Road School 50th celebrations...


Book blessing at Robertson Road School 50th celebration Gala
2 Dec 2016
Yesterday saw the launch of our 10th book in the play series called "Sacred steps of Tigilau". It was written for my former high school: Nga Tapuwae College (now known as Southern Cross campus) in 1995 when I was an English teacher at another South Auckland high school and the Drama teacher at the time, Louise Creegan, produced and directed this amazing school production with her senior drama students that year.

The actual launch was incorporated into the 50th Jubilee celebrations of my former primary school called Robertson Road school. I was a pupil there between 1970 - 1976 when there were many Pakeha/Papalagi (European) students and there were few Pasifika or Maori students. Now there are many more Pasifika and Maori students and few if any Pakeha students.

It was neat to be able to share this moment with them as a past pupil and to give a brief talk about the books that I'd written and the theme to the books. I think for me it's about writing on things that are important to me and that's my cultural heritage which was missing for me during my elementary years at school. And the plays incorporate stories of Pasifika mythology that many of our young people may not be aware of if they have been born and raised outside of a Pacific Island.

All in all, it was a neat day and it was so nice to come back as an author to the school and to share my story and hopefully many will consider aiming for their dreams and making it happen. Another neat occurrence was having my parents fly in from Samoa to be at the launch and also in prepping for my sister's 21st birthday next month. It was so neat to share with them in the celebration of this milestone.

We later celebrated with dinner and a cake to honour this special occasion and looking forward to the new year and what it will bring...



No comments:

Post a Comment