Monday 6 February 2017

New movie "Ballerina" review...

As part of our Waitangi Day celebrations I also took our younger ones to watch the new movie "Ballerina" and what particularly caught my attention was the name of the main character who is known as Felicie which is pronounced the same as my husband's family Samoan name spelt Filisi.

In fact, as a part of my beloved's research project, (he's also studying the Indigenous Research paper) he too is researching his family name and it is interesting to note that the name of the character is latin of origin but also used in French, German and means happy, fortunate or lucky.

When our elder children were younger I took them to ballet lessons and they enjoyed it but when I changed my job situation it made it difficult to continue and they continued on with their sports and music lessons. Now it's our youngest's turn and she too wants to go to lessons much as I did when I was young.

But apart from European dance it's also about exposing our children to Pacific dances, music and sports as each culture has their particular preferences and I liked how the movie expressed the idea that dance comes from the heart more so than something that one learns from lessons. It's much the same as art, writing, music, dance etc. the arts are more than what the eye sees.

So if you have little ones who would like to dance this is a pretty good movie which I think is a Canadian production with a neat story about where passion and discipline can get you in dance and that having a talent and heart for it can take you a long way...

No comments:

Post a Comment