Thursday 2 March 2017

Changing face of Auckland CBD... and me...

IMG_9149 Today, I went into Auckland CBD Central Business District to go to an appointment (but that's another blog) and to also check at the Auckland City library's research centre that I'll be taking my class to on Saturday. That was after having a quick drive around to look for parking - big mistake as it's certainly not cheap to park in the city.

Anyway, as I was walking down to Queen Street, the first thing I noticed was a lot of road works all over the main roads and after searching for my favourite eatery back in my Uni days in the 1980s i.e. "Middle Eastern Cafe" I realised that it was no longer there and was replaced by an Asian food place. So sad as over the years I would drop in to have a swarma, take family members and remember my good old Uni days but now...

On Queen Street I also saw a big change and that of a 4 movie/theatre block that I would attend movies in the 1980s (pic above) are now being demolished to make way for a big 30+ floors apartment development. Another sad fact of the changing face of Auckland city.

Upon going for a short tour of Auckland library's research centre on the 2nd floor of the library (I would sometimes frequent that library in my Uni days) the librarian showed me some old magazine hardbound books and I remembered an article that was written about my last year at my high school and found it archived featuring a picture of me studying in the library. It was such a surprise to see as I had remembered it as being quite different but neat as I will now add it to my own archives.

The interesting thing about the picture was that it recorded a time and a place that I remembered about having dreams and studying hard towards that goal. I do remember the library was where I spent a lot of time reading, writing, reflecting and it assisted in making my dreams come true. Now some 30+ years later, in seeing that magazine photo I see how the hard work paid off and now I'm able to assist in making other peoples dreams come true through succeeding in education...

No comments:

Post a Comment