Monday 13 November 2017

My late granma's legacy in my writing journey...

This weekend, despite the passing of my special granma, I attended the Auckland Book Festival with fellow writers and it helped to ease the pain and loss and I know that my granma would have wanted me to continue with such an important part of my life now which is about connecting these stories with their readers.

The neat thing was that I got to meet librarians, teachers, other writers, people from the general public who were attracted by the bright as paintings but also some who wanted to talk about writing or sharing hints about how to get started in writing and where to go, some were also genuinely interested in connecting Pasifika students with stories that reflected their Pacific backgrounds and that was neat to know too as an ex-teacher librarian back in the day.

It was a gentle reminder also that through my granma's legacy, I'm able to do what I was called to do so long ago and it's about using the God-given talent for that special purpose for me about my writing somehow reaching into the past and then picking up those special stories and re-writing them into the present to cast into the future (hope that makes sense).

I'll always be so grateful to my granma for taking that time to be with me in her support so many years ago, that started me into this writing journey from the old stories in Samoa as I mentioned her in my first Masters Geography thesis.

So as I continue on this new life's journey a thought struck me (gently) on Saturday to help write my granma's life story with permission from my family so that the memories and the neat legacy that started with us continues...


No comments:

Post a Comment