Wednesday 22 August 2018

Te Oro, Glen Innes (G. I) Arts centre...

Image result for te oro This last weekend I had the privilege of visiting Te Oro, Glen Innes' newly built arts centre which was opened in 2015 through one of our students who is familiar with the area.

It was a surprising treat to be given a tour of the facilities that includes: A fully functioning threatre with tiered seating and opens up to the car park thus allowing for spill over crowds or open functions. I also has a dance studio, recording studios, band practice facilities, meeting rooms, art workshops, art exhibition space and much, much more.

Wow! I was in awe of the space and the various ways that it could be utilised by the community with many programmes already open to youth for creative spaces and sharing with professionals within the community. So awesome!

Am hoping to catch a show there when we return to Te Tira Hou Marae in October for a noho Marae (overnight stays at the Marae) on a Saturday so that my class can experience live, local theatre which was something that I enjoyed writing for and directing back in my high school teaching days.

It's also now a venue to consider for future exhibition space with paintings etc. as another avenue to share our stories and listen to poetry etc. It's definitely one that I'll be keeping in mind for future ventures...


No comments:

Post a Comment