Tuesday 5 November 2019

Master of Applied Indigenous Knowledge (Level 9)...

Today, I just heard the good news that 6:7 of my past students made it to the presentation stage of the Master of Applied Indigenous Knowledge course (final stage) before having their degrees confirmed for graduation this year.

I also have another two students of whom I supported but didn't complete my research paper so it's 8:9 students that I was thankfully able to support into the programme. As they only take around 40 candidates each year.

Like a mother hen, I feel so excited and privileged to have supported and witnessed their journey 3 - 4 years earlier from starting with me in the Cert. in Indigenous Research course and now having almost completed their degrees.

It is definitely not a journey for the faint-hearted as there would have been a lot of learnings along the way as well as challenges and obstacles to have overcome but so proud to hear the news.

I am also hoping to get permission to attend each presentation (as appropriate) in having spoken with each candidate earlier about what their topics might be to what they have completed. The presentation time is only 15 mins with a set format for their slides, topics and their findings, etc. so it will be so interesting to listen to them over a 2 day period next week 14 - 15 November

I also have another 7 students (plus another student whom I'm supporting but didn't teach) waiting in the wings to see if they get into the next cohort of the Master's degree that recently closed last week. That announcement will probably be made at the end of the month and wishing my students the best.

It's something that I believe in, in having scaled the heights (and still metaphorically scaling) and seeing the panoramic view up ahead, as a teacher, it's important to keep encouraging our students to continue their journeys and to give a helping hand when we can. The benefits to their families and others around them can be life-changing and life-transforming...

No comments:

Post a Comment