Friday 26 May 2023

Class room with a view at Manukau...

 

I've been really enjoying the recent change of scenery as I now teach at Manukau campus of MIT (Manukau Institute of Technology).

This happened as a result of the first floods that occurred earlier in the year and left our campus flooded out with a whole new reno' that has to happened.

As staff, we were first told that we would be back on campus in April but after extensive investigation with the assessors, I think that they realized that the extent of the damage was far reaching and we've been recently told that we won't be back on campus at least until September.

So whilst the big renovation is happening on campus, I get to drive into Manukau, often trying to beat the traffic on the motorway (highway/freeway) which is about 15 - 20 minutes from home on a good day but when the traffic is crazy, I either try to drive on the backroads or leave earlier before peak traffic hours.

It's been good as I get to check out the shopping centre mall, if I have time, or just cruise around to see the other local shopping or organizations out there. At night, the atmosphere is definitely different with lot of lights and seeing the city sprawl from the third floor at night is quite amazing.

Add to that, there's an underground train connection that one of my student is able to connect from out in West Auckland all the way to South Auckland and it only takes 30 - 40 mins. It would be a lot longer via car and especially in peak our traffic.

I'll be soaking it in for the time being and enjoying the ride to my new place of work engagement as hopefully my students will too, except that most like to zoom from the comfort of their homes. Here's another opportunity that comes out of the blue, that I'm so grateful and thankful for too. A sure blessing...


No comments:

Post a Comment