Saturday 24 February 2024

Hula dance on Fridays...

 

Yesterday, I had the privilege of joining a group of staff or "game" women who wanted to learn or join in the after lunch 'Hula' group that just started on campus.

I had had lunch with my older two and asked if either wanted to accompany me and the eldest decided to after having been taught Samoan siva (dance) by relatives and Tongan dance at high school for the PolyFest.

For me, I'd joined a church dance group as a teenager and had already been taught some Samoan siva, Niuean and Cook Islands drum dance so it was great to get back into the "swing" of things again and to swing those hips through lifting those heels!

In fact, Hawaiian hula dance is very different to Cook Islands drum dance and Tahitian dance with the different techniques that they use to sway their hips to the drums or guitar music playing. This is always good to learn in order to know the differences.

Yesterday, we had so many women from different cultural backgrounds giving it a go and by the time we finished our hour long session, we were all buzzing and sweating (doesn't help with no air con). So it looks like this might be my Friday after lunch buzz for getting my steps up and for enjoying Pasifika dance with other wahine toa (brave women)...

No comments:

Post a Comment