Wednesday 13 March 2019

Learner driver initiatives with Auckland Transport (AT) ...

Check out: https://at.govt.nz/driving-parking/road-safety/young-drivers/your-teenager-and-driving/
Yesterday, I took our middle child to a 'learner driver' education talk that was held at our local movie theatre. It's a new initiative, through Auckland transport (AT), that I've just been made aware of for teens between the years of 15 - 19 who are interested or have already started their learner driver education.

The neat thing was that I heard about the event on a Facebook Ad that linked to the Auckland Transport website that had all the information for me to take Register and take our teen to listen to an interesting talk from a guy from 'Attitude' (neat organisation that works with youth) with the added bonus of: either a free popcorn or double chocolate ice cream; an information bag and a free movie to watch.

I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and would highly recommend it to other parents/caregivers who have teens who are keen on learning to drive and need the information to either support them whilst being behind the wheel and all the different avenues out there that can provide support.

Back in the day, I had a full license at 15 years where it could all happen on a single day: i.e. the theory exam(multi-choice), eye examination, oral exam (3 questions from anywhere in the Road code) then the practical exam.

Nowadays it's very different but it's good to know that places like AA can support with 3 free practical lessons if the parent/caregiver is an AA member, which is what I will be insisting for our teens and other 2 day workshops are also offered in different suburbs of Auckland.

I've copied the link below and thank for parents for taking the time to support me those many years ago when I couldn't wait to be behind the wheel. Of course, I passed the driver ed exams and then had to wait a few more years before I passed my father's test but that's another story.

https://at.govt.nz/driving-parking/road-safety/young-drivers/your-teenager-and-driving/

Suffice to say that I wouldn't recommend you put your daughter onto the motorway when you're first teaching her to drive, at 15, in a column gear, blue and white Zephyr Mark II, as she could do worse things than to drive onto the roadside ditch...

No comments:

Post a Comment