Monday 14 October 2019

Lotu Tamaiti - White Sunday...

Every single year since having our children, we've celebrated White Sunday a.k.a. Lotu Tamaiti (meaning children's church) at my birth church in Mangere PIC (Pacific Islanders Presbyterian church).

It's usually on the second Sunday of October, this year falling on 13th October, and it's a day where children get to wear white clothes, participate in saying a bible verse, in the Samoan language, or to be a character within a Christian play or dance.

Usually after the service, which is known as the best part, there is a shared meal of celebration where the children get to eat first with food that complements the day.

For me, it's about teaching this legacy, through early missionary contact, to the next generation. As with my parents' generation, they talked it being like Christmas as it was the only day that most children would get new white clothes for church in taking part in this annual service that was dedicated to children.

Growing up, I remember being a part of many White Sunday celebrations in learning verses or lines for a play and now I see my own children doing the same. I think the neat thing is that into the third generation, they are continuing a tradition that was started way before I was even born and now continuing.

And maybe it'll be my turn again, until the next year...


No comments:

Post a Comment