Monday 1 February 2021

Changing direction of PhD...

 

This long weekend, as well as catching up on a lot of paperwork that I write for my work, the boards that I'm on and correspondence that I keep, I'm also working on some writing and especially with the goal to finish my doctoral studies next year.

It's been a long and arduous journey since my first attempt in 2007 and haven't really stopped since with so much to consider writing about and much to reflect upon.

However, the saddest part for me is that with this global pandemic much of the fieldwork and tofā sa'ili (indigenous research) that I wanted to undertake in Samoa does not look like it will eventuate and I don't have much of a say in it.

With the international borders closed and the cost of going into quarantine and time lost, I'll be looking at changing my fieldwork to incorporate a New Zealand based albeit Auckland location.

This is really sad because the whole basis of what I wanted to do was to have my research-based in Samoa where all of the important cultural concepts originated but then again, I can work it to my advantage by looking at it from a more diasporic Samoan approach.

So now I'll have to rewrite some of my chapters and make some new considerations as to what that might look like but the exciting thing is now to work on finishing the work that I started those many years ago and then hand it in next year.

With so much to do and so little time, there's no more time for excuses or for waiting around for international borders to open or for a vaccine, it's just time to start towards the finish line with the goal in mind - completing this and with God's blessing and support, it can be done...

No comments:

Post a Comment