Thursday 29 March 2018

A big shout-out to neice Taylor on fulfilling grandparents dreams...

Taylor with her Papa and Mama (Grandparents)
 A big shout out to my neice Taylor (my elder sister Norma's eldest daughter) for winning the prestigious Prime Ministers Youth Deloitte's $10K Scholarship for upcoming entrepreneur (not sure of the official title) of 8 other Ministry of Pacific Peoples sponsored scholarships.

She's definitely someone to watch out for as she carves her path out in the innovative business world and I love her sense of humour (definitely Samoan) and her creativity which she got from her mum which my sister and I got from our mum. Lots of alofa and blessings going her way in seeing how it made my dad happy in seeing next generations succeeding in their chosen paths of life.

It brings me to the dreams that my parents had, her grandparents, to sacrifice a future in Samoa with beloved ones, in coming to NZ to pioneer a new lifestyle and way of living for themselves and future generations yet still holding on to the principles and customs/traditions albeit adapted to the NZ way of life and we are the reapers and benefit from decisions that they made as our forebearers.

I hope that my children and our next generations who are still yet to attend Uni and venture further afield will always remember in their hearts and in their life's principles the vision that my parents had for us all. It wasn't an easy journey and they had to contend with racism, prejudice and bigotry but due to our Christian principles as well, their legacy has withstood the tests of time and have benefited from the principles of a hardworking ethic, perseverance, determination and tenacity and just never giving up especially when times are tough.

I'm so thankful that I have been blessed with kind and considerate parents who not only have nurtured me but have always challenged me, and continue to challenge me about my principles as a Christian SamoaNZ women, mother, daughter, sister, friend etc. I know that I want my children to continue their legacy and in watching them leave for Samoa today, I know that God chose them especially for me, for my generation and the next...


No comments:

Post a Comment