Wednesday 28 March 2018

Amazing artwork by Anna-Maria Tauau for new book project...

I wanted to give a 'big shout out' to my sister Anna-Maria Tauau (we just call her Maria or Ria for short) for her neat artwork that I've chosen to grace the cover of our next anthology or collection of writing from local writing group 'Mana Mangere writers collective' and hoping to also include some youth voices from local schools.

I chose the title of our collection to be a 'Sense of belonging' firstly because it was to be the title of my first Doctoral thesis in Geography at Auckland University but half way through my studies, I decided to change course (that's another story) and instead got married started my family.

The idea stayed within and after much interest in our very first collection and the confirmation of local Mangere and Otahuhu Boards providing funding for a second collection, the title came back to me as I started to consider the themes that would be relevant and important to share as a community.

For as many know, Mangere and Otahuhu are very multicultural communities and having been brought up in Mangere, I have many fond memories and also some not so great. However, in all of the experiences that writers have had, I've asked them to write about how they consider that 'sense of belonging' and have left it wide open for discussion.

I'm hoping that this particular collection will begin its pace after Easter and I will blogging about the progress up into the launch date of around August/September of this year which is why the cover has already been chosen to create a sense of space in the stories/poetry etc. to come.

Our last collection called 'Mana Mangere voices' that included prose and poetry can be found in most local South Auckland libraries and I found this review by an Auckland writer about the book that she is selling on her website 'Blue Mushroom books'.

"Mana Mangere Voices" is an anthology of stories and poetry from this south Auckland writing group. Powerfully raw, this bold book from accomplished author, artist & educator, Helen Tau'au Filisi, will resonate and encourage reflection. Available now for just $20 


šŸ’›

No comments:

Post a Comment