Friday 20 July 2018

Samoa in the sun...

Pic credits: Samoan Observer
It's been nice being off the grid in Samoa but now am currently in American Samoa with family (and data) and have been chillaxing and enjoying the relatively laid back lifestyle of Pago as some know the island as.


Yesterday, we went with my beloved's brother's family for a quick tour around the island and seeing the steep slopes behind reminds me of Rarotonga and Hawaii (on a small scale.


Also picked up an interesting story about the turtle and the shark which has been around for a long time but neat to see the actual place that the story is believed to have started. It's another book idea but still considering our connections to the story.


It has been a neat trip to come together as a family to my beloved's family reunion but to also reunite with my identity as being a Samoan. I purposed that at all times I would try and converse in Samoan and this has been good in raising confidence in my first language and every now and then will switch back when I can't think of a Samoan word that quickly expresses the thoughts I have.


It's also been interesting to listen to the different debates that are going ahead with the current Prime Minister wanting to tax the monies of the EFKS local Christian Samoan churches and there is a lot of dissatisfaction in the state of affairs for Samoa.


I've also observed over the years of the influence that the west has had on Samoa and it's interesting to see American Samoa and the differences that it has on the landscape of what's happening on the two islands but for me only being an observer on a superficial level.


I just thank God for this opportunity as we begin our families' building project in my father's village. It's been a 7 year dream for my dad and hope to bring it into fruition. Many people say that it's a waste of $ to invest in building in Samoa if living overseas but sometimes you just have to honour what you know to do as being right i.e. from the heart and let God to the rest...





No comments:

Post a Comment