Saturday 25 May 2019

K (Korean) dramas on Netflix...

I've just recently discovered "K" dramas on Netflix, something that I was introduced in our eldest's interests a couple of years ago but in not being a huge TV fan (i.e. I've got lots of other more interesting things to do instead of sitting in front of a box) it was a pleasant surprise.

Initially, it reminded me of the US dramas that we had back in the 1980s with no expletives (swearing), nudity, illicit sex etc. that seemed to escalate those dramas into a disinteresting frenzy of relationship breakups and makeups.

Interestingly enough, I've found some of the popular K Dramas to be quite the opposite and are refreshing with little to no swearing, no explicit scenes and with more emphasis on the emotional states of the characters, developing the characters with plot twists, interesting storylines and it's taught me a few things about Korean culture that I hadn't been aware of.

One series that I've finished watching was 'Inheritors' also known as 'The Heirs' and I couldn't help feeling that some of the scenes were emotionally heart wrenching and almost painful to watch as the main characters act through torturing, harrowing scenes of societal and hierarchical blackmail.

To the point that they will replay scenes of heightened emotional loss, or loneliness with the main characters crying in almost all the episodes through dysfunctional family relationships or breakups/breakdowns and interestingly enough both female and male, with lots of plot twists that have you wondering about what will happen next.

I think one can get emotional invested in a character that they particularly feel sympathetic too or empathetic and so I've continued watching to see what becomes of their choices. I've also found that the programmes are a comment on society as norms and boundaries are pushes in the seeming relationships between the older more traditional generation with their social morays as opposed to the younger generation who often rebel or do not follow the same well trodden path of their forebearers.

It's been interesting to also observe the roles of women in how they often portray women in both being of virtue, obedient and often subservient to the male role but still portray powerful women in corporate roles and as mothers as well. I must say that it's also been interesting to see the culture of respect for elders which is similar to Samoan culture although with different practices, such as the bowing and a very real comment on the social hierachy between those who are corporate inheritors and those who live from paycheck to paycheck.

Definitely something I'm currently interested in but for a short season as I've still got a PhD thesis to start/finish writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment