Saturday 6 July 2019

'Carried away' Auckland Museum's newest exhibition on now...

Today, I accompanied my beloved's class (as one of the drivers) to transport his class to Auckland War Memorial museum. I was quite interested because I had attended earlier in the year and I had heard about a new exhibition about bags that was one show.

This particular exhibition is interesting as I remember how mother, sister and I made different types of bags growing up and I wondered which ones they would be exhibiting in the different styles over the years.

I remember my mum making a crocheted bag for me to take to church with a drawstring tie that was white. I also remembered how she made a diamond shaped needle point-type work on plastic templates that were later sewn together but I haven't seen any of those around.

And as teenage girls, I remember sewing tote bags out of denim as well as sewing a round tote bag. There were also the shoulder length leather bags that we took to church as children and I also remember a round woven plastic pink bag that I got one year.

I would definitely recommend going to see this exhibition called 'carried away' as it does have some traditional woven bags as well as synthetic and innovate bags that might bring back memories as it definitely did for me...
New exhibition at Auckland War Memorial Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment