Saturday 8 May 2021

Community groups and local Volunteers Day...

 

A couple of days ago, I attended a local community groups' day (albeit a little bit late with the many hats that I wear).

I found out that it was a 'hit' in that many people had attended and it's a day that volunteer organisations came make their presence known in having a stand just outside the local library in the forecourt.

I spoke with Toni, the founder and organiser of this day and it was good to learn about the different groups and the good that the are doing in the communities especially during the lockdowns too.

Often volunteers are the unsung heroes of our communities who may work day in and day out to support communities but often may not be paid workers such as CAB Citizens Advice Bureau volunteers, many church organisation and charitable trust volunteers (not unlike myself) and with our schools and Daycare centres etc.

This is a day that we can make the invisible - visible and a day of celebration for the amazing work that they do. I remember when my dad retired and he started volunteering in delivering 'Meals on Wheels' and then also driving for the Blind Foundation.

There's definitely room for many more volunteers and I also think that it's really important work for the soul when we reach out and support the more vulnerable members of our communities in whatever we are able to do for them. Often it's a blessing in disguise for us...

No comments:

Post a Comment