Saturday 1 May 2021

The art and beauty of tapa for next generations...

During a local hospital visit of a friend, I came upon this mounted tapa cloth on the wall at the lobby whilst awaiting an elevator ride to the bottom floor.

In fact, I let the elevator go whilst taking the photo and to have a closer inspection of tapa as it looked quite recent with no source or information on it.

The style looks like Samoa tapa designs but it could also be Tongan in its make as unfortunately, not many Samoan families are making tapa as they did in my maternal great grandmother's time.

Still, it was a beauty to behold and it quite stopped me in my tracks as I stopped to admire the handicraft of the work of art that stood before me. I am aware that there are some young Pacific artists who are learning of this craft to carry on the knowledge for future generations and I'm hoping to be able to learn and pass it on also to our next generations.

But for now, I'll continue admiring the artform and learning to paint and draw the stylized elements until such a time that our borders can open again and then back to Samoa I'll go to one day start learning about the art of making beautiful tapa cloth like my namesake great grandmother Eleni...

No comments:

Post a Comment