Thursday 5 January 2023

Blessed to be back in Samoa in 2023...

 HAPPY NEW YEAR for 2023. Ia manuia le Tausaga Fou mo 2023. I'm here in sunny (and rainy) Samoa with my family and enjoying being back after 3 years break due to the COVID-19 restrictions of closed international borders in NZ.

I was last here with my parents in September of 2019. Sadly, my dearest dad passed away during the COVID restrictions, a year ago (as discussed in earlier blogs) and I've had the privilege of coming to Samoa to keep my personal promise to him of having a Memorial stone for him here.

So we had a NZ memorial service and unveiling on Xmas Eve 24 Dec 2022 at 10am and then a week later we were blessed to be able to do it again in one of my dad's beloved villages where he first grew up in Fasito'o-uta. It's been a real blessing as we'd had a year to prepare for it and all came into fruition (with some extra bits and pieces too) but I've come to know that you just need to prepare for the unexpected in Samoa too.

Now, I can relax and take stock of some other things that need to be done whilst here in Samoa. I've got some books that I'm working on and have a few ideas for book launches and speaking engagements but just taking it easy as just slowly getting back into the swing of things.

I must say that Samoa has changed a lot and even when I catch up with some Aunties and Uncles, they say the same that since the global COVID-19 epidemic, that there are certain things that have been rethought. I am blessed to be able to speak Samoan and that helps to see the differences too.

Suffice to say, that I'm just so thankful for this opportunity and in knowing that this was a very special place for my dad and in his heart he really cared for Samoa, his villages and families. That's something special that he gave to me as his parting gift to never take things for granted and to be thankful for what God has in store for us during our lifetime/s...


No comments:

Post a Comment