Sunday 19 February 2023

Recruiting for new classes for 2023...

 

Yesterday morning was a very time setting up a market stall at our local markets to recruit for new enrolments for the year for my class and other classes at our Wānanga (Maori Tertiary Institute).

I still think that it's still one of the best kept secrets (still a lot of marketing to be done) for these courses as most of them are free, with the exception of the degree courses and they are also especially good for second chance learners who didn't do so well in a western lead education system.

Since joining the Wānanga firstly as a student, a student support officer and then a teacher, I've found the difference for when one's cultural heritage is taken into account and valued more so than trying to pretend that every one is the same i.e. from a western cultural background when that is usually not at all the case.

So it's a real privilege for me to be able to share my successes with new students and sharing with them of some of the knowledge of achievement through the experiences that I've had. Plus it's more real and local rather than me being a professor in some university that only the privileged would attend...


No comments:

Post a Comment