Thursday 9 May 2024

 

Yesterday, I spent some time with my eldest and she decided to have a look at our local Māngere Arts centre to see if there was a local art exhibition on.

It was really interesting to go with her and view the two exhibits. One regarding viewing photos on Taiwanese tapa making as compared with a second exhibition which was a Tongan tapa art installation that looked like a doorway similar to the reknown large rocks formation in Tonga.

The interesting thing about the Taiwanese art installation was that it also had Taiwanese words that were written down with some that were very similar to Samoan or Tongan words.

I had read that there was a connection between indigenous tribes of Taiwan and the Pacific as it was believed that Pasifika culture may have spread out over thousands of years but originated somewhere in the Taiwan islands region amongst its indigenous peoples.

After viewing the exhibitions, we saw that they had set up an art station complete with acrylic paints, water, paint brushes, easels and canvases. We couldn't pass up the beckoning of an opportunity to paint especially with gold and silver colours on the palette so away we went.

I finished two paintings in our 30+ minutes of painting (over achiever :) with tapa patterns on the left and a colour play displayed on the easel. My eldest painted the painting in the foreground and I liked it so much that I asked her if she didn't mind if I could use it for a possible front cover for one of my books. She agreed but also said that she could do a better one but I liked this one.

I left my two paintings behind to be displayed on the walls (with no signature) with the other paintings and it was great to contribute to the other artists who had also put their paint brushes to the test of creating something to be displayed for others' enjoyment.

So if you are wanting to give painting a go, why not have a look at your local art gallery or arts centre and see if they have an arts programme on that you can also contribute to and add to the artistic scene in your local area...

No comments:

Post a Comment