Tuesday 12 July 2016

NZSTA Boards of Trustees Conference 2016...

Image result for nzsta conferenceLooking forward to flying out to Wellington this weekend for the annual NZSTA (New Zealand Schools Trustees Association) conference for Boards of Trustees members in Schools etc. throughout New Zealand.

I've been on various Boards of Trustees for several schools over the years since being involved in education and I've witnessed a lot of different practices as a Board member in the relationship between Boards and Principals/senior managers and in understanding the need to be able to connect with Maori and Pasifika families in schools whose senior Principal/s are often predominantly of European ethnicity. Although this is slowly changing in areas with high populations of Maori and Pasifika students.

For me, this weekend will be about updating my knowledge on some of the new initiatives that the Ministry of Education focusing on and also what the expectation for Boards are. A couple of years ago I was asked to consider assisting in the training of Board members but because I'd had a few years off (doing other important things) I turned it down but perhaps may consider it if asked.

I think that trustees in Schools actually do play a very important role in schools as ensuring that schools are carefully managing their resources towards the success of our children in schools. For elected members (like myself) the accountability is also to those who voted me into the position to ensure that the educational needs of the students are being catered for and particularly for those children who are not meeting the "national norms" that they are given adequate assistance.

Aside from that, it will be good to visit windy Wellington again and to ensure to have some R & R and catch up with some old friends and make new friends in ensuring the success of our children in schools...

No comments:

Post a Comment