Monday 31 October 2016

Happy 97th Birthday to my Grandma Asia...

A big happy 97th Birthday to my Grandma (Maria Mareta) Asia Su'a who was born in the last century in 1919 in Samoa and turns 97 years young today. In fact, we were very worried earlier this year as she had been sick and the doctor wasn't expecting her to recover given her age and condition but she surprised even the doctor and it was such a blessing to us all to witness her recovery - a big miracle! to say the least.

Growing up, I remember clearly that my Grandma was such a strong woman and very sure in her faith in God. She would go to church regularly, tithe regularly and would pray and fast regularly. She was also very strict and ran a tight household of which I was mindful of never wanting to cross her, so I would also mind my manners around her.

She was a pioneering woman and when I spoke to my aunties and my dad about her when she was younger, she assisted in bringing a lot of our family members from Samoa to Auckland and many stayed with her until they were able to set themselves up with a job and other families. She really cared about family and always wanted to do the right thing as she knew it to be.

She shared a special relationship, although I was often busy with my studies and then career and now with my own family but I learnt a lot of lessons from her in life and hope to pass them on to my own family too. Her faith has always been strong and she has never wavered in her faith in God and when she became a widow she continued to trust in him for all her needs and was always generous in giving away much of what was given to her.

Over the weekend, my family had a special lunch for her but I was unable to attend and will be instead visiting her on her birthday. It also happens to be Halloween but because my family doesn't celebrate it we will instead be enjoying time with her and thanking God for the special part that she plays in my family's life with their Great Grandmother for whom I am especially grateful for...


No comments:

Post a Comment