Thursday 22 June 2017

Contemporary vs Traditional - cultural clashes...

'Hibiscus Blues' (6"x6") Acrylics on canvas
I've had some very interesting conversations over the past few weeks as I've ushered in a new class for this Semester in the Cert. in Indigenous Research and also in my capacity as a Pacific People panel member for the Auckland Council.

Those interesting conversations revolve around what is often seen as the clash between what is deemed as the cultural 'traditions' which some academics don't like to use the word 'traditions/al' because often it equates with old, the non negotiables, being stoic and on the other hand there are those of contemporary generations who often don't agree or know a lot about 'traditional' culture and will often call to question various ideas.

I think for me, the non-negotiables are the principles by which we abide by that have been passed on from generation to generation and as a Samoan it is about respecting our elders even if we sometimes don't agree with them, the 'va fealoa'i' or keeping the space safe within our relationships we walk alongside.

It's sad to me that people with qualifications have often usurped areas that were traditionally occupied by people who were steeped in wisdom and knowledge because we as indigenous peoples have been colonised to think that having education somehow manages a better understanding of the world around us and to some extent there may be some truth there but I've come to learn that with age and experience comes a lot of wisdom and understanding about life and life's cycles.

I must say the people that I most respect and look up as my heroes are my parents with the foresight and knowledge that they both had to where we are today. Success to me is not about making mega dollars or accumulating wealth but it's more about living life in accordance with principles that bring about other's success (i.e. being generous) and leaving a legacy of faith, hope and love to the next generation and that's what I've come to know through the example of my parents of which I have been blessed with.

So for me, it's about learning from our elders experiences in order to forge a shared renewed understandings of faith, hope and love of which we pass on to our own children and that they will pass on. The difficulty comes when we look in the mirror and realise that we have become so 'palagi' or western in our nature and have rejected the very principles that have been passed from the generations or even more difficult if we don't even recognise our prejudices.

The paintings that I paint are very much about the re-newed understandings that I have about my cultural identity in being 'SamoaNZ' rather than a NZ born Samoan because there are inherent differences of understanding and meaning which in teaching the Indigenous Research course has really helped me to reflect upon.

The cultures don't clash for me because as I reflect upon the principles that I've been brought up with, each situation calls for clarity of mind and to seek spiritual guidance upon which decisions need to be made. It's about tapping into the grand Master of design and asking for that divine intervention that will bring about a holistic understanding not about clashing but about contrasting and complementing. It's learning about how those beautiful colours/clashes complement each other...





No comments:

Post a Comment