Friday 15 May 2020

Jojo Rabbit movie...

This week, I got to watch 'Jojo Rabbit', a movie directed by New Zealand Maori director and actor Taika Waititi. It's an interesting movie because it wasn't one that I was at first interested in watching but after listening to some rave reviews about the movie, I then decided to watch it with my family.

It's definitely not a movie that I like due to the subject matter (in the prejudice, racist and Holocaust of killing Jews etc.) but it does challenge viewers to consider Adolf Hitler from a different viewpoint as depicted by Taika Waititi.

It's not a movie for the faint-hearted as the movie does discuss some of the ideology of Nazi Germany and the propaganda against Jews from a child's viewpoint as being brain-washed into hating Jews and being encouraged to treat them as less than human.

It was definitely a different 'take' on Adolf Hitler and all that he stood for. I think that the parody of Taika playing Adolf who believed in his Arean race propaganda would have stirred some purists and for some, it would have been offensive for a brown man to play the 'white racist' but it was also an interesting story through the eyes of a young boy and Jewish girl.

I think after watching the movie it gave me hope that not all is what it seems. It's a movie that I would encourage teens to watch with their parents and study in-depth as there's so much to learn from and consider. Lest we forget and it starts again...


No comments:

Post a Comment