Thursday 16 April 2015

Aganu'u Samoa clas prep

Aganu'u Samoa classes - only 1 more week to go to Fiafia Night
It has indeed been a privilege to attend these classes for the past 10 weeks (although I was absent for 3 of them with babysitting). I remember the first class in which I couldn't stop being teary eyed as it had been a wish for me for so long to have learnt the faaSamoa in an authentic setting but taking into consideration being born and raised in New Zealand and for me, this class was a blessing in many ways.

Firstly, it was bilingual so that many of us who were NZ born were able to discuss ideas and ask questions without feeling ashamed of not knowing. And it was a blessing to have 2 matai (chiefly orators) facilitators: one was a young male,  NZ born and raised and a mature woman born and raised in Samoa but has lived in NZ and has grandchildren and very understanding of the NZ contexts for NZ born Samoans.

In the 10 weeks leant I: folafola toona'i (announcing to guests that the meal is ready for them in traditional Samoan way); folafola sua (being able to thank guests who have bought gifts usually of food); faafeiloai (formally welcoming guests to a special occasion in a church setting) faalupega of my mother and father's immediate villages (honourific titles given to respective villages) and am beginning to have an understanding of Samoan lauga (oratory speech making).

Next Saturday my husband and I will be attending a graduation of sorts for those who have completed the 10 weeks with live sessions whereby we orally present the information back to our class with our own personal village settings taken into consideration.

It has certainly been a humbling experience and also a huge learning curve whereby I feel more confident in my knowing as a NZ born Samoan. I would definitely recommend these classes to any NZ raised or Aussie raised Samoans who feel the need to connect back to their cultural roots. Next week, I'll be reciting my parents faalupega, delivering a faafeiloai speech and then also addressing the matai titles of Samoa. A privilege in which I thank God for such an amazing opportunity....

No comments:

Post a Comment