Saturday 25 April 2015

ANZAC Day - Lest we forget


This ANZAC (Australia New Zealand Army Corp) is quite a contrasting day with a fiafia night tonight in celebration of a graduation of sorts after completing the Samoan classes that ran last term and this morning's somber remembrance of the NZ troops and allies who fought in WW1, WW2 and other wars around the world who gave their lives in the name of peace.

My middle 10 year child, as part of a school project, last night completed a remembrance scene with the words "hope, love, anzac, peace and no war". It was in remembrance to her that not only were there many soldiers who were killed outside in the war zone but also people died in hospitals. She also wanted to acknowledge the nurses many of whom gave of their lives to support and assist in the giving medical attention to those who were wounded in war.

In New Zealand. there are commemorations all over the country in remembrance of 100 years since the Gallipoli landing of NZ and allies troops in Turkey. I understand it to have been the "killing fields" and a slaughtering of many who died with all odds against them. It's a sobering time to remember how many fought and died for the peace that we have today.

Tonight, I look forward to completing and delivering a short speech in Samoan acknowledging my faalupega (honourary family titles a genealogy of sorts) for both my parents with my husband by my side completing his with the addition of an example of a faafeiloaga or welcoming speech. I'm looking forward to when my delivery is over and I won't have to keep reciting it but it has been a wonderful journey to learn the things that I always wanted to know about my Samoan heritage - lest we forget!


No comments:

Post a Comment