Sunday 3 May 2015

"Ancient stories to inspire cultural pride"

Had the privilege of having Justin Latif from '275 times (celebrating Mangere sharing its stories)'
Edition #8 come on to campus to interview me for their latest edition. He wrote a very positive story with a pic and asked if Fritz could translate for them as it's Samoan language week at the end of the month.

It's interesting as I see my writing as very much 'grassroots' in writing about things that are important to me in having experienced much as a first generation NZ born Samoan living in Mangere. I've had the privilege of observing and seeing many things first hand and have had some neat mentors growing up and especially my parents helping me to understand things along the way.

The article wasn't 100 percent accurate but it did get the gist of why I wanted to write and release "Sina and the Tuna" as my first book for the public. I think of all things, it's about having a dream with a God purpose and in always holding onto that dream no matter what the circumstances.

In my case, it was about writing and even painting but I never actually put it together until I was given the idea on 23 January of this year and then had my first book launched on 19 March due to my parents leaving for Samoa a couple of days later. To me, it was a culmination of many years thinking about it and then finally having the breakthrough of seeing the process through to print.

I wonder how many of you who are reading this blog today, have a dream that you've always wanted to fulfil but haven't really shared it with anyone or don't really believe that it can ever work out. I hope that my writing can help to inspire you to strive towards that goal and to never give up. For me it was the 'God factor' that made it happen because of the speed at which all fell together in a couple of months after decades of dreaming about it.

And there's more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment