Monday 18 May 2015

Brother Love - Ruketekete Te Mamae (The Roimata Song) Go TEAM Beau!

Just in case you are watching NZ's X Factor, I thought last night was so neat for both Pasifika and South Auckland finalists Nyssa and Beau. Don't get me wrong, the band was good but you can get that kind of performance anywhere in the world but these two took the contest to a whole other level.

 I've posted 'The Roimata song' for those of you who just haven't been acquainted with the original or with a range of Pasifika music. I was brought up in a local PIC Pacific Islanders (Presbyterian) church where we learnt to have an appreciation for different cultures be it Cook Islanders, Samoan and Niue cultures shared through the English language. I got to learn to dance to Cook Island drum beats to eat Niue delicacies and to embrace my Samoan culture (although sometimes reluctant).

In being exposed to a range of Pasifika cultures, I love different aspects of each culture and for Cook Islands it's their 'maynaise', Cook Island donuts, drum dances and their lyrical ukelele. So when Beau came along and shared his culture with the world, I just loved it! that's the way to go! and a great role model to show the world that you can 'beatbox', dance urban contemporary, dance Cook Islands guy style and sing in the lingo too :) as well as in English. I hope he wins.

I also like Nyssa with her Samoan siva to 'Crowded houses" song but to me, Beau won the night and has it all. Still backing my sister thought 'cos she's from Mangere, a fellow Samoan woman who can probably sell thousands and albums but he stole the show hands down for me.

Still Nyssa could do it too and made me smile when she shared about a year ago being a cleaner at Rainbow's End and who can forget that yellow cardigan that she wore in the heats. She's been a pretty awesome singer but when it comes to talent and the X factor. Beau you've got my vote. And a big 'ups' to your parents, who exposed to you their love for music as a Cook Islander/Maori from Rewa 'hard' all the best you both deserve to win.

And there is hope for our next generation yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment