Monday 11 May 2015

Mother's Day surprise

Yesterday, I received a neat mother's day surprise as I'd opted out of our traditional restaurant family launch or dinner (no cooking or dishes to do) and decided with my husband to take our family out to a local beach and park for lunch with the beautiful sunshine that we experienced yesterday.

Much to our surprise, as I'd decided to take a walk to the pier, my children and husband noticed a seal basking at the dock with quite a crowd around watching. 

It was quite fascinating to see it up close and personal in not having bars or a thick glass to separate humans from the seal. Unfortunately, I hadn't thought to take my camera (so this pic is not an original) but my children were quite happy to watch the seal bask in the sun and ignoring the crowd of people obviously curious at the spectacle.

Even after half an hour of my extending my walk and returning, they were still quite happy to sit and watch the seal until a young man came along with his girlfriend and decided to splash the seal (all the while with a lot of people calling him an idiot). The seal barred it's teeth as a warning and we decided that it was time to go and enjoy some ice cream and cake.

It's funny, upon reflection to think that often we might miss some amazing experiences because we opt to keep to tradition, or stick to the tried and true instead of taking a risk, walking off the beaten track or for trying something new just for the fun of it.

If I hadn't taken that time to try something different (although I knew that my children would have loved going out for dinner) we might not have had that encounter with the seal and the same goes for writing and publishing my first book as I now look forward to publishing a second by the end of the month.

It's not until we move from what we already know to where we want to go in experiencing something different, that we start to get results towards a life that may be more fulfilling with neat experiences and memories that we otherwise would have missed out on...

No comments:

Post a Comment