Friday 3 June 2016

Congratulations on my lil' sis' Maria's graduation...

My sister's graduation with our dad in the middle and me.
Congratulations on my lil' sis who graduated this week with a Certificate in Social Services (level 4) upon which she then enrolled into a Bachelor of Social Work (Year 1) of a 4 year degree here at Te Wananga o Aotearoa.

She was amazing last year in that I expected her to cruise in that she was already capable of starting a degree but because of the prerequisites, she still needed to complete a level 4 (which to me is much easier than NCEA level 3) although the content is much more interesting.

Well, she really applied herself and made great grades and won the respect and friendship of her peers although many are much older and mature in their life experiences. But so neat that she has now found her pathway into supporting others and I wish her well in her future endeavour which she tells me includes a Masters degree and Doctoral studies (I must have rubbed off on her :)

It's something that my parents were very aware of when I was really small, in that both my parents saw the value of education and really impressed upon us as children that it was very important to do well in school as it would open opportunities for us in the future and they were quite right. I thank God for neat parents who were both very supportive in my educational efforts and who understood the value of education and what it can do for families.

I continue to want to learn as much as I can but then to also pass it on, whether it be in the form of writing books or teaching classes or talking with people on Radio or face to face - it's about paying it forward so that others may learn to. It's also important for me to also pass on to my children so that they can learn from my mistakes and enjoy the opportunities that God has to offer in life lived well...


No comments:

Post a Comment