Friday 19 August 2016

Poetry Reading with Sale...

With Spring just a month away, it was good to go to a meeting at Mangere Town centre Library and to liaise with other community members about different work/job opportunities and also to network in finding out what is going on within the Mangere and South Auckland community.

Today, it was a particular treat as I was able to hear a poetry reading by Sale Saulaina who is a Niuean poet. He has been particularly supportive in attending some of my book launches and at my next week's book launch at Mangere Bridge library, I've asked if he would like to give a poetry reading.

I will also be reading excerpts from of my first poetry collection which also happens to be on the National Poetry Day and it's particularly important to me as it will be my inaugural (first) public poetry reading. I'm definitely not a 'spoken word' poet as I've been writing poetry for years but I am looking forward to sharing my poetry to the audience and to garner their reactions.

I think that as well as self-publishing my own material, I'll also be looking to establish a Mangere writers group with support from Mangere Town Centre library manager, Sonia, with a view of publishing a collection of works from the community. So I'm putting it out there that if there are other like minded people who would like to join this group, and particularly indigenous stories or experiences, then please pass this message to your networks about this new initiative.

No comments:

Post a Comment