Wednesday 12 April 2017

Farewell to my class of 2016-17 soon to be Graduates...

Was so blessed yesterday to have spent the last night with my first class of soon to be graduates from the Certificate in Indigenous Research course that we ran last year from August.

We shared dinner at a local Asian restaurant and it was good to share memories and have a laugh at different things that had happened throughout the year and to generally relax and take it easy now that all the assignments have been handed in and marked.

That gives me a week to rest up before starting my second cohort which begins in a weeks time and then finishes around Christmas time. Already, I have full class and a waiting list with many wanting to apply for the Masters course with this as a foundation course to start from.

The class also gifted me with this special painting which 'Izy', one of our resident students and emerging young Maori woman artists, painted and with their signatures at the back.

This is particularly of special significance in that I interpreted it as being "Wahine Toa" or in being a strong Maori woman (although I'm SamoaNZ) which I hope I was able to share with my class of some of the attributes of having strength in knowledge and humility and one does not need to amplify oneself above others as we are all gifted and talented in various ways and in trying to be more understanding of each other.

A very humbling experience and also happy to place it in our house in pride of place that tells the story of how one person can make a difference and that each of us has the potential to leave a special legacy for our children and future generations to learn from...

No comments:

Post a Comment