Sunday 2 April 2017

"Beauty and the Beast" movie review...

I love going to the movies with my family as it's my time out with them to relax and enter into another world to see how it works and what I can learn from it. Yesterday, we went to view "Beauty and the Beast" and I was somewhat surprised that there were bits that were added that weren't in the original.

Some of the funny parts, for me, had to do with the fact that the scene was set in France and Paris in parts but that the actors were mostly with an English accent, the exception being LeFoe, Gaston's side kick. I thought Gaston played the part very well in being the vain villain and reminded me of the original but just not as musclely.

The story in it's totality was nice with the cinematography and scenes that looked beautiful but there were parts of the story that were embellished that I thought didn't really need to be told i.e. the absence of Belle's mother and the continuation of the story of the Enchantress but I guess they were appealing to a more sophisticated audience?

So the story did seem to appeal to a more adult audience (supervising their children) in parts with the suggestion of single sex partnering and cross dressing but it didn't take away from the story which was at best about a daughter's love replacing her father in a prison and a woman who begins to care for a beast/man who saves her life and sets her free after an impossible situation and at worst about a man (Gaston) who wants to win his woman no matter what the cost and a woman who falls for her captor as he begins to treat her well.

All in all, it was interesting to watch and there were some extra songs that they'd also added but weren't as memorable as the original songs. The actors were also well known in their different fields i.e. Kevin Kline who plays the father and Emma Watson who plays Belle although not as "doe" eyed as the Disney original.

I guess, I still like the original movie best still in it's simple story and songs but it was a neat movie to be reminded about the lengths that we will go to for love...

No comments:

Post a Comment