Saturday 29 April 2017

Writing and reflection after procrastinating...

I'm back to writing again after taking some time off to "think" and "reflect" although most of the time I was procrastinating about getting back into the swing of academic writing.

Can't help it as I find the process not as creatively inspiring in having to always reference other writers and constantly checking your train of thought. It can get so heavy that I need to go and paint on canvas, listen to music, watch T.V., play online games or go out to get the creativity flowing again.

Which brings me to this book written by Dr Augustin Kramer back in the early 1900s that I first came across in my earlier Masters studies at Auckland Uni during the late 1980s before the English translation I would read the Samoan stories and then skim over the german writing.

I also remember referring to it in the Nelson Memorial library in Apia when I would go in to write and study during my fieldwork studies in 1989.

Then in the 1990s an English translation was published by University of Hawaii with Dr Theodore Verhaaren as the translator. I could kick myself now because I should have bought myself a copy but due to it being around $100 a copy, I thought that it was steep for one of two volumes and so didn't buy one at the time.

Now, I regret it as it has many important information that would be very helpful for my studies, although I am able to ask to borrow one from a family member. Still, it's not the same as having a couple for myself to refer to.

Now off I go back to the books and reading, re-reading, sorting out information, gathering my thoughts, searching through catalogues, considering, reflecting, questioning, puzzling, it's a never ending exploratory fact finding mission into discovering what it means to be a doctoral student working through various writings to come to conclusions of my own.

And the journey continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment