Wednesday 7 August 2019

'Hobbs and Shaw - Fast and Furious' Samoan stylez...

It was interesting to watch the highly anticipated 'Hobbs and Shaw - Fast and Furious' movie starring Samoan/African American, Dwayne Johnson and Englishman, Jason Stathom. To be honest, It wasn't so much for the action-packed scenes of high adrenalin not to mention octane content but it was on a research mission to see how much content/context there was of Samoa having seen social media alerts of the up and coming movie featuring Samoa.

Sorry some spoiler alerts coming, so if you'd rather watch the movie first, then read no further! What's funny is to see a fellow Samoan on the movies (as his mum's Samoan) and Dwayne Johnson's character is a kind portrayal of having family values, family problems and a keen sense of humour, plus loads of personality as I know a lot of Samoan males and females have.

So when the scene of saving the world ends up in lil' old Samoa, I anticipated which side of Samoa that they might feature. Well, it wasn't to be as it looked more like the rugged high coast line of Hawaii that I had viewed over the years that I've visited the Hawaiian islands.

It was neat that they had a Maori actor play the elder brother (Cliff Curtis) of Dwayne's Hobb's character even though I thought that perhaps they could have gotten Roman Reigns to have played the part as he definitely would have looked more believable but still Cliff Curtis pulled off the accent pretty well.

The character that plays his mum did pretty good as she reminded me of many of my matriarchal mum's, aunts, grandmas etc. wearing a mu'umu'u (long island dress), wearing a selu (Samoan ladies comb), and a turtle-like bangle, with that 'don't mess with me' instructional voice and holding the jandal poised to through (seeing this when I was growing up) and maybe I've got some of those kick-ass traits in having had some of those genes handed on to me through my mums, grandmothers, great grandmother etc.

Definitely, recommended for those high adrenalin junkies who really enjoy action movies with Dwayne Johnson and some spices of Samoana...


No comments:

Post a Comment