Monday 9 December 2019

Back cover of new book 'Navigating Journeys'...

Christelen Filisi's art piece for back cover of new book
I just wanted to give a 'shout-out' to our middle child, Christelena, whose art piece features in our 3rd community prose and poetry collection on the back cover.

What's so neat about this artwork was that I'd the privilege of watching her artistic flair and talent develop this year with Pasifika patterns when I watched her doodling (as I did many years ago) which I first witnessed during a church sermon a few months ago (yes I've been guilty as well).

This is her third large piece in a series that she's been working on and when I was considering the artwork for the new book 'Navigating journeys', I saw her working on this and asked if she would give permission for me to feature one of her works on the back cover (paid commissioned art).

She chose this art piece and it complements our front artwork nicely as with the theme. I was really impressed by how she chose Pasifika patterns and namely Samoan artistic iconic patterns to build up the body of the artwork that tells a story in itself.

It reminds me of our many Pasifika students who have been brought up in our families who are artistic through the environments that they have been nurtured in i.e. dance, art, creative arts, performances etc. and the list goes on.

It's about nurturing within them a belief that they are able to create and be creative within environments and opportunities that we can support them in eg. in schools, church, joining groups developing art, performance, writing, directing, filming, designing, collaborations etc.

And looking forward to our book launch this weekend on Saturday 14th Dec at the Mangere Town Centre library from 1.30 - 2.30pm where we get to celebrate with our community and youth artists, writers and poets in launching our new book. There's never a dull moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment