Friday 9 July 2021

Matariki discussions at Hawkins Theatre Papakura...

This week, I had the honour of attending a Matariki discussion at Hawkins Theatre in Papakura. I had heard about the korero (talk) through a student but thought not to attend due to having listened before to different discussions by the speakers.

However, as she had two free tickets and wasn't able to attend that day then I decided to take up the offer and not waste the opportunity in case I started asking around and no one was free.

In any case, what was so neat about the talk was being able to take my middle child along for the ride on a half rainy night and then over to Denny's for a late dinner and dessert.

The speakers were: Prof. Rangi Matamua (who discussed Matariki star cluster), Hoturoa Barclay-Kerr (Master star oceanic navigator who discussed his background) and Rereata Makiha (who spoke on maramataka and current projects). 

What was neat about listening to their discussions was that they were happy to share their knowledge freely for next generations and current generations to learn and understand from their various perspectives. 

I have heard each of them discuss their thoughts and experiences in various settings but especially Youtube. I've even shared their ideas in class which has informed my classes on the various journeys that each has taken.

What a privilege it was to be able to share this information with a second child as I had been able to take my youngest a couple of years ago when Prof. Rangi Matamua held a session at Manukau Vodafone Events centre.

As more information comes to light, it clearly shows how Maori and Pacific peoples early ancestors were keen navigators and observers of the land, oceans, seas and sky. We come from a knowledge rich past and can keenly transpose those pioneering ways to the future...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment