Wednesday 6 April 2022

A+ Bloods call-out...


It's been awhile since I gave blood as a blood donor back in 2017, however, whilst I was watching the TV news on Monday, there was a call out for those who have A+ as there was a shortage with only 4 days left nationwide.

Of course I then phoned for an appointment and found that the local blood donor place was full until next week and so was re-diverted to the Epsom (Auckland central clinic) where there was only a next day wait to make an appointment.

So today I was able to support my community in giving blood. However, whilst I was there, the nurse told me that there was still a short supply so I'll be calling in my family, those who like me are A+, to also consider donating their blood.

I know that for some religious faiths and personal decisions, not everyone agrees with donating blood. But since I attended Uni in my late teens and into my 40s, I was still given the opportunity to do this and in being to support my community.

After the 30 minute donation, I had a juice, as donors are supplied with food etc. afterwards and it gave me time to catch up with the Blood services' annual report. There I was able to read that very few Samoans donate blood (because of their beliefs?) and that NZ Europeans gave more blood as an ethnic group.

If you haven't already, it might be something to consider as the majority of peoples needing blood are for operations with some due to accidents, those with cancer, and many of these include children as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment