Wednesday 13 April 2022

Siapo (tapa cloth) patterns in PhD study...

 

My creative PhD studies allows me to create artworks and study various patterns of Samoan culture that was created hundreds of years ago and are still being continued in today's Samoan societies.

In this study pictured left, I've painted my favourite Samoan siapo (tapa cloth) pattern using acrylics on small canvases and in using the colours of i.e. bronze, gold, silver and black to replicate some of the colours that would used through the natural plants of Samoa.

I wanted to capture the rich vibrancy of Samoan culture but also keeping with earthy tones that are associated with siapo as siapo as seen as another measina (treasure/s) of Samoan material culture.

I've had so much fun making these up as I'm also giving them away to participants in my study as a token of my appreciation for the time, effort and knowledge that they've shared with me.

In fact, I find it a real privilege to be able to learn and share my understandings gained in learning more about the history behind what entails being 'measina a Samoa'. I also see that there are some changes that have happened over the years and some of these findings I'll be sharing on this blog but also with the participants after writing up my exegesis/thesis with accompanying artworks etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment