Sunday 31 December 2017

Saying goodbye to 2017...

Image result for 2017 In saying goodbye to 2017, it's also a good time to reflect on some of the highlights and low lights of the year gone past. I must say that one of the saddest times was the lost of my granma who has been in my life for over 50 years and that loss had a positive impact in seeing how she influenced me earlier on in my studies.

On the lighter side, it was neat to see our children growing into their studies, something that my parents ingrained in me as a youngster and I continue with mine. It was neat to travel to Melbourne for a time to recoup but also to take our family away to see another country/city.

As for the books, I didn't quite make up the 5 books per year that is my goal to publish, but I was instead able to offer workshops and a small exhibition at the local arts centre to local schools and self published two books: a bilingual picture book 'Fale Samoa' and a collection of short stories and poetry which was the culmination of Mana Mangere writers' efforts.

It was a year of reflection in knowing that I didn't want to complete a Doctorate in Education and am in the throws of transferring to a creative Doctorate, something which I should have long finished. I also am changing my teaching focus from Indigenous Research to a focus on Indigenous Research through a Te Ao Maori (Maori worldview) lens which will be interesting as I take up learning the language more formally in the year ahead.

In my last blog of 2017, I thank God for the year gone by that brought about its challenges and triumphs and look forward to what 2018 will bring. To you all, I wish a very Happy New Year ahead...


No comments:

Post a Comment