Thursday 30 July 2020

PhD Reading lists...

Current PhD reading list for Samoa's development
I recently saw a post on a blog discussing a post-graduate reading list and thought that it might be interesting to share some of the books on my reading list that my beloved and I have picked up along the years.

I don't have the time to go through each book as there's so much to discuss but these have been some of the staples over the years.

One the oldest book that I have, in terms of receiving it from my mum, is Pratts Grammar and Dictionary, of which I received in 1989 when I was completing my first Masters degree.

Probably one of the oldest books in terms of the information that was gathered would be (Rev.) George Turners (Siaosi Tana) Samoa A Hundred Year Ago and Long Before which was written around the mid 1800s.

It was a book that I referred to a lot in the late 1980s in trying to learn and understand what the ancient Samoa ideas around their environment was about although it was through the understanding of a European perspective.

There's a lot more to discuss but suffice to say that I've been really privileged to now have a better understanding of Samoan history, current affairs and the protocols that have changed as a result of Christianity, colonization and also the 'maturing?' of a developing nation.

Probably the book that came to challenge my understanding of my Samoan ancestors was a book that I picked up at University written by Michael J. Field called 'Mau Samo's struggle for freedom.' I think every Samoa student should read this book as a testament of the strong pride and stance that Samoa took as the first Pacific nation to become independent in 1962.

And this is not even the exhaustive list that I have on the other topics that I am reading, not even mentioning the hundreds of articles in current academic journals and the books written by Samoan scholars either.

So I'll just take one day at a time and read what is relevant and what comes to mind in writing the various chapters of my thesis. But one thing is certain, that this would not have been possible had it not been for a gracious God and a loving and supportive family without which this would not be possible...


No comments:

Post a Comment