Sunday 18 April 2021

Happy 57th Wedding Anniversary to my parents...

 

I've been so crazy busy lately with classes started, studies continuing and family life but I always try to take out time for the important things like family celebrations in being grateful to God for the people in my life.

Yesterday, my parents celebrated their 57th Wedding anniversary and I had the privilege of taking them out to lunch and spending this special time together with them.

They are now both grandparents to my children and great grandparents to my siblings' grandchildren (as I was a late bloomer) with all my studies etc.

We later celebrated over prayer and a celebratory cake over at our house and my dad bought a special ring for his bride just for the occasion of which my children thought was pretty special.

They spoke about how they first met in 1962 just after the celebrations of the declaration of Independence in Samoa that year. 

At the time, my dad was working on the Tofua (banana boat as it was called in those days) and my mum was the first in her family to leave for New Zealand to start a new life by living with her cousins and other relatives and would send money back to Samoa to support her family.

They kept in touch for two more years before they married and lived in Onehunga and then bought a house in Mangere in the mid-1960s. They and have lived there ever since but in the last 10 years decided to move back to Samoa and build a house there whilst travelling too and from Samoa. A couple of years ago we built a larger house next door for them and for our whole family to visit.

It's been a blessing to witness their journey together and especially for my children to see what enduring love looks like and the special bond and love between their grandparents and how they laugh together and love together. 

Every year is a blessing to be with them and I pray that God grants them many more together and especially that it continues to inspire our next generations to love and care for that special spouse who will be there with them every step of the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment