Tuesday 24 January 2023

Back from Paradise Samoa...

 

Only hours before we leave sunny Samoa for our homeland of Aotearoa, NZ. Looking forward to it but also already missing Samoa.

I understand more my late dad's yearning to return back to Paradise which had many good memories for him and that he wanted for us to have as well.

I think I was able to tick a lot of things to do off my list. One especially being to visit my ancestral villages of Fasitoo-uta, Siufaga, driving past Faleula on the way to Apia and also Safata on the island of Upolu.

Another was to go by boat and visit the big island of Savaii and drive all the way to Falealupo which is another ancestral village as well as driving past Vailoa in Palauli. Falealupo will always have a special place in my heart as it was where I began to learn about the importance of our own indigenous stories.

So now it's only a short time until we return back in late March/April, this year, for another very important occasion of celebration which there will be more information about in the coming weeks. Just for now it's been a beautiful journey for 3 generations of us, my mum, myself and daughter/s. 

Samoa see you soon... Ia manuia ma ia Soifua...

No comments:

Post a Comment