Sunday 8 January 2023

Measina a Samoa in Samoa...

 

One of the other important things that I returned to Samoa to observations for my PhD studies on measina (cultural treasures) in Samoa.

Sadly, I had wanted to base my PhD studies in Samoa but as the COVID-19 Pandemic had shut NZ's international borders for around 3 years, it was important that I made a start in NZ with diaspora Samoans (like myself) and then to return to the motherland to see what affects (if any) that COVID-19 had on the use of measina in Samoa.

There's been a lot of discussion but it was especially comforting to see that some were still making Ie Toga (fine mats) that are still being used in Samoa for funerals etc. However, in some villages and families, cash is or expediate and is more easily sourced than ie Toga.

In fact, fewer women are practicing the art of weaving ie Toga as more move into work and other industries. I was often told that in days of old, it was the elder women who would do this work with younger ones joining them later but still seen as the responsibility of the elder women.

Now, it seems that the elder women do not weave as they once did with many falling ill to many ailments and less women spending time weaving on hard floors with all of the associations of preparing the fibres to be weaved.

The pic above is one of an ie Toga that is currently in the process of being woven by one of the ladies who lives with us whose in her 40s and weaves. She has taught her elder 17 year old daughter to weave and it is a something that is done when all the daily chores are completed and there are no other distractions.

It's such a blessing to see in knowing that my parents both planted the two different types of plants that can be used for weaving (but more on that in my thesis). Just so great to know that this is still being promoted in my own home in Samoa and continuing to pass on measina a Samoa to new generations...

No comments:

Post a Comment