Friday 13 January 2023

Weaving Pandanus plants...

 

This is some of the pandanus plants for weaving, that my parents have grown, on their property which is used for local weaving.

It's something that I have started to learn as an artist and especially have been interested in our Measina workshops to see many coming to learn the art of weaving that our ancestors continued.

However, there is a long process that happens after the fibres are cut from the plant and before the fibres are ready for weaving. One has to dry them and also boil and wind the dried fibres ready for weaving.

I'm seriously considering to enrol into my local wananga (Maori high learning institute), where I work, in the next semester to learn the art of weaving through Maori techniques and then to add them my repertoire from Samoa.

It's a dying art, especially in that not as many women are weaving as they did many years ago, however, there are still weavers who are ready to teach those who are willing and so perhaps a renaissance of weaving needs to happen in Samoa in order to continue this important art that has been continued for many years around the Pacific...

No comments:

Post a Comment