Monday 25 April 2016

ANZAC Day and tala o le vavau...


Today as I reflect on the past albeit the lives of past soldiers given up for the freedom for their countries, in ANZAC day commemorations, and the few left RSA (Returned Servicemen Associations) survivors of an almost forgotten age, as well as reflecting upon the lives of my many ancestors who were once survivors of now an almost lost age.

This weekend, I've started typing up my 1989 first Masters thesis to get ready for publishing in the not too distant future. It tells stories of a time that is now long forgotten of the anamua (ancient Samoan) time period and the participants who took part in my studies, some of whom have passed on.

The above book with the cover art drawn by reknown Samoan artist Fatu Feu'u, was a book that I carried around with me, in the late 1980s, when I was studying in my twenties. It reminded me of the importance of such stories that would be lost in time if not preserved.

In now publishing many of those these ancient Samoan stories, in simplified versions, for the next generations, the thesis explains the ideas that I learnt upon my journey to understanding where I came from in my Samoan descent, in what my ancestors were unable to teach me.

It's been a real privilege and honour in being able to share these stories and there are many people whom I am indebted to for starting me upon this amazing journey that has brought me to the place of being able to publish these stories for my children and for many others.

And may God be given all the praise and glory...

No comments:

Post a Comment