Sunday 3 April 2016

Moso's footprint...

Image result for moso falealupoIt's going to be a busy week this week as I'm looking forward to the book launch this Friday and as I continue my studies towards a doctorate in Education at AUT University which combines my interest in Indigenous education and storytelling.

I'm also working on painting up our next picture book which is about the story of Moso, from the village of Falealupo on the big island of Savai'i, which was where my maternal great, great Grandmother Melea (who married my German great, great grandfather Charles Spitzenburg) was from. I remember visiting the site in 1989 with the late Aeau (principle storyteller extraordinaire) and meeting some of my family who lived there at the time.

Last year, in December, I visited Falealupo with my husband and children to view the sacred sites and also to research material for this book. The interesting differences are that the after some 25+ years later, the site which was once isolated now has houses close by and the site itself has changed somewhat.

I also listened to the story and found that there has been additional information that had been added by the storyteller that is quite different from the stories that I'd collected and also my recollections as a child when I visited with my parents and family in the early 1970s but that's life and I look forward to sharing this story with readers in May...


No comments:

Post a Comment