Friday 31 March 2017

The "fun" in Fun Run ...

It was neat to visit my children at their school and to witness their Fun run which was a fundraising event for a snow camp for the seniors later on in the year. It was interesting because as a Dean (back in the day) we would organise a variety of different events and I find myself, as I go to different schools, critiquing the various events being organised and I have to stop myself but every now and then I do make my thoughts known if I think that it would help.

My poor lil' one fell down and I realise that this really had to do with not being familiar with the route as I witnessed many little ones falling down in their attempt to finish the circuit quickly but not really knowing where to run to. Perhaps having a slow walk around the route prior to the race would have helped them to be a little more familiar with less anxiety about when this would end.

In the end, the 3 winners didn't really reflect the true completion of the course as classes were staggered in their release to start the race so that those who first left had a 5 - 10 minute lead in time and I watched as many little ones took short cuts in not really knowing where too next.

What also was funny was watching the amount of teachers standing by the side line whereas it would have been neat to see them participating as many did in walking the track. I also thought that I should have joined except that I was wearing the wrong shoes that would have ended up muddied from the field before returning to back to work.

So where was the "fun" in the Fun run? I think it was after the race was run when the children got to eat their iceblocks and sausage sizzle when it was all said and done. And after having to placate my child into staying on and not returning home with me early because she did suffer a fall but the fun is in learning to laugh it off, dusting yourself off and continuing on with the journey, even if it isn't fun at the time...


No comments:

Post a Comment