Monday 1 May 2017

Painting up new book to be released in June...

In between mommy/wife duties, studying, working and relaxing have started painting up our next English/Samoan bilingual picture book ready for a book launch around Samoan language week (27 May to 3 June).

This is quite exciting because I haven't painted up canvases for a book since last year as have been very busy with my new job in teaching and studying too. However, it is quite relaxing in taking time out of thinking or planning to paint up each board which takes several hours per canvas.

The new book is about a Samoan cultural phenomenon which is dying out quite rapidly because of limited natural resources but also because the art of making it is only in the hands of a few. The story explains the origins as I've researched and it's the only story that I've come across that sounds genuine of it's kind.

I'm also hoping that the canvases will be ready to display at the 'Pacific Hibiscus' exhibition at Mangere Arts Centre during Samoan language week with workshops for local schools during Samoan language week.

I haven't released any new books so far this year due to the 2 community projects i.e. community exhibition and workshops and coordinating a book by local writers that I'm working on so this book will be the first of a few that I have planned for this year. Never a dull moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment